Here’s the video we took of our first run at Mission Raceway in August. Accelleration was set very low to prevent damage to our new motor controller. We’re looking forward to getting some dyno testing in and getting back to the track soon.
The UBC Electric Car Club is looking for 2 new members to join our executive team! We are looking for:
- A treasurer
- A marketing director
These positions offer excellent real-world experience and an opportunity to help drive sustainable technology on campus.
See the job descriptions below for details.
For more information, contact email@example.com
In our testing last weekend we began to hit the limit of our charger. Running at full current in the hot sun it began to de-rate its current level in order to protect internal components (a desirable quality for sure). Here is a shot of us feeding it ice in order to allow it to run at full current even in the scorching hot weather. We’re looking into options now to add more charging capacity so we can be at full charge for multiple runs in a day of racing.
Last week was the big push to get the car ready for ICBC certification and tech inspection at the track. We weren’t able to get the inspection done this weekend due to some scheduling issues with the shop doing the work but we easily passed tech at the track and ran three runs on Sunday. We started out easy in 3rd gear and at low power levels allowing us to fully test the system, and giving us plenty of room for improvement during future testing. We were also having some trouble with chargers overheating in the 35 degree weather highlighting the need for cooling fans. Thanks to John’s datalogging system we now have a good set of data on voltage, current and rpm characteristics to analyze and optimize for our next run. We’re looking forward to tuning the car and doing further testing on a dyno in the coming weeks and plan on attending test and tune night at Mission Raceway August 23rd.
The transfer case is looking pretty good today. I’ve finally got it holding oil using a butadiene gasket and a series of quick release hasps. We had earlier issues with leakage between the motors and the case but I’m hoping it’s solved with some sealant that I applied as the system was assembled last week. We’ll know more when we run the chains this weekend. You might notice that the left chain sags and contacts the bottom of the case. The left chain goes tight on the bottom side when the system runs so it only rubs on deceleration. To prevent wear on the chain we’ve installed a low friction UHMW rub strip which can be replaced if needed. Next step is to start getting ready for a provincial inspection and insurance so we can start road testing!